The lovely Jip from Old-Fashioned at Heart gave me the Liebster Blog award!
I am so flattered! Thank you, Jip! You should definitely check out her blog if you haven’t already – she has seriously gorgeous vintage style and she writes in both English and German! I was born in Germany and German was my first language, though I learned English when I was 4 and it is now the language I am more comfortable with. So it was so fun to me to discover a vintage blog in German and English.
Here are the rules of the award:
1. Link and follow the blogger who awarded you
2. Blog about the award
3. Give the award to 5 other bloggers – preferably bloggers with less than 200 followers
4. Answer the 11 questions I asked you and create 11 questions to your 5 awarded bloggers
1. How did you discover vintage clothing ?
Wie hast du Vintage entdeckt ?
I discovered vintage clothing initially through 70s clothes – my mom loves the 70s and sometimes we’d go to vintage stores and I’d buy a cool shirt. But I only discovered the “vintage lifestyle” a few months ago by seeing a clip at work (I transcribe reality television). I immediately thought these vintage women were the coolest and I couldn’t believe it never occurred to me before that you could actually wear vintage clothes all the time.
2. If you could only take one vintage item you own to an abandoned island, what would it be ?
Wenn du nur ein Ding (was vintage ist) nach einem Insel mitnehmen könntest, was würde es dann sein ?
I hate when people give practical, realistic answers to desert island questions so I will say my gray 1950s suit. I love it and I think I would look smart in it and that would help me feel better even if I was all alone.
3. Is there a lot of vintage in the city where you live ?
Gibt es viel vintage wo du wohnst ?
I live in LA, so there’s a lot of everything, including vintage. Unfortunately a lot of the vintage stores here cater towards the hippie/hipster look – lots of 70s and 80s, pretty much no 40s or earlier, not very much 50s and 60s. Most vintage stores have designer vintage clothes, cowboy boots, and some new clothes mixed in with the vintage. I prefer Etsy!
4. Did you discover new hobbies or interests after you discovered vintage ?
Hast du neue Hobby’s oder Interessen entdeckt nachdem du Vintage entdeckt hast ?
Yes, although I’m not far enough along in either of them to say that they’re my hobbies yet – more like aspirational hobbies. I’m asking for basic knitting supplies for Christmas because I would really like to learn how to knit. I’m already signed up for a knitting meetup in January. I also want to learn to swingdance. I’ve always loved dancing and I found some swingdance classes that I’m going to take in January. I’ve already roped a friend into going with me so I’ll definitely go!
5. For how long have you been wearing vintage ?
Wie lange trägst du schon Vintage Kleidung ?
I’ve been wearing the odd vintage item since I was a kid, and some 70s clothes since high school (and often second-hand – I’ve rarely bought new clothes), but I only started really trying to revamp my wardrobe to be fully vintage in September.
6. Are you sometimes afraid ripping seams in old clothing or broken soles of shoes becaus of their age ?
Hast du manchmal Angst das durch das Tragen Vintage Kleidung kaputt geht ? Denke an aufgerissene Nähte bei Kleider oder an Sohlen bei Schuhe.
I am totally afraid of that, especially since I don’t know how to sew (I can sew on a button or mend a small tear, but I wouldn’t want to sew anything that would actually show since I’d be afraid of doing a bad job). I’m actually mostly afraid of staining clothes, because I’m not always the most prim and proper person.
7. Have you ever worn seamed stockings in winter (despite the temperature) because you thought they were more vintage/prettier than thights ?
Hast du schon Mal im Winter Nylons getragen weil du die schöner fand als Strumpfhosen, obwohl es kalt war ?
I haven’t, but I know I will. First of all, winter doesn’t get that cold here (thank God). But I’m already getting a bit fed up with tights and I’m planning on buying a girdle after the holidays and going the way of stockings.
8. Do you also adapt vintage to your daily life ?
Verarbeitest du im Alltag noch mehr vintage als nur die Kleidung ?
I have definitely noticed that I am incorporating vintage into my daily life. When you wear vintage clothes, some things are just necessary – washing clothes in a more careful manner, wearing an apron. I’ve also wanted to be cleaner in general because it feels weird to be immaculately dressed with a messy room. I also just don’t have a lot of interest in modern things anymore when I know that there’s a fun vintage alternative out there, so I know I’ll be buying vintage home goods from now on, as well.
9. Who is your vintage fashion icon and why ?
Wer is deinen Vorbild wenn es um Vintage Mode geht und weshalb ?
I recently wrote about Rita Hayworth
, who I love for her classic and fun style with some androgynous and utilitarian touches. I’ve also always loved Ava Gardner for being crazy sexy and Farrah Fawcett for her fun, athletic clothes. I think it’s clear that I love big hair. Oh and Ingrid Bergman and Dorothy Dandrige. OK, I’m done.
10.Do you have any pets?
Hast du Haustiere ?
I don’t! I’m not really responsible enough. I love cats, though. And my friend has a chinchilla and ever since I saw it I’ve been obsessed with it.
11. Why did you start blogging ?
Wann hast du angefangen zu Bloggen ?
I just realized that the English question asked why, but the German question asked when. So I’ll answer both. I honestly started blogging because my therapist said I needed a hobby since usually all I do is work and feel guilty if I’m not working. I also wanted to have motivation to dress up and feel beautiful since I went a couple years without feeling very pretty. I started blogging on a “health and lifestyle” blog three years ago but gave that up a year ago and started a comedy blog on Tumblr (which I still have – erikaheidewald.tumblr.com
) but I’ve only been vintage blogging for about a month.
My 5 bloggers I choose:
1) Can you do a craft? e.g. sewing, knitting, etc? If so, how did you learn?
2) What vintage item are you currently on the lookout to buy?
3) What item of clothing do you wear that modern people might consider weird? Like a girdle, a corset, a bonnet? I don’t know. Why am I trying to answer your question for you?
4) How do you most often style your hair?
5) How do your family and friends feel about you dressing vintage? Do they ever tease you?
6) Let’s say you could live in the past for one year. Which year would it be?
7) Do you have a favorite makeup technique? What is it?
8) What type of vintage store/item/event do you wish you had in your city?
9) Do you wear vintage or modern shoes? Where do you get them?
10) What modern fashion trend do you especially dislike?
11) Are there any fashion trends from your favorite era that you don’t like?
Come on, don’t pretend this is not fun. It is fun.